Monday, December 3, 2012

the french.. they're just like us!

     I am a happy, happy camper right now. I just witnessed what I am almost positive was the first time my host parents met their daughter (and thus, my host sister)'s boyfriend, or at least the first time they're had him over for dinner. It was magical. All of the awkward things that happen in the US in such occasions, well, happened, but en francais, bien sur. hahah there were awkward silences and times when my host sister and the boyfriend were just whispering to each other while everyone else pretended not to eaves-drop, there was even a point near the beginning of the dinner when my host father out-right ignored a direct question from the boyfriend, like any good dad would to keep him on his toes. hahah and my host father preceded to test the temperature of the wine that the boyfriend brought as a gift throughout the entire dinner (with some kind of weird watch-like thing that wrapped around the bottle. I dunno either. must be a french thing). And I'm sure my host sister was just as happy I was there as I was happy to be there because I think a good fifteen minutes of the dinner was spent making fun of my lack of finesse with the french language, as well as the traduction of more than a few french terms into english (and then they all tried to pronounce said english words, which was pretty hilarious in and of itself, as in, imagine a french person saying the word "lime," "praline," or "licorice"). But I'd say that the boyfriend passed this preliminary test, and with flying colors, I must add. He was super funny and did seem phased by anything my host father threw at him (he even had the balls to not only tell, but show, you know, with a face of degout, his dislike of a Christmas chocolate that my host father had him try because it is one of his favorites, and on top of that burn, the chocolate was homemade by my host mother. see what I mean? ballz.
      But anywho. It was truly magical. one of my favorite host-family dinners by far. I was really glad I was around for dinner tonight to experience this monumental step my host sister and the boyfriend's relationship, mostly because it was hilarious, but also because it made me realize once again, that there are some pretty big differences between the French and Americans, but sometimes when it really gets down the the knitty-gritty of life, we're all alike.
     Also, I really wish I had somehow taken a sneaky creeper shot at dinner that I could post here for you, but alas, I did not and even if I had, I'm over my free "picture data' limit hurr on good ole blogspot, and I don't really feel like paying money to be able to upload more! Sorry! deal with it.

2 comments:

  1. thats so amazing! I have not been at one of those dinners in a long time! I wanna!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhhaa I know, right? I don't think I had ever been to one, so it was that much more special. you know, even more special than it already was since it was in France ahahha

    ReplyDelete