Friday, June 24, 2011

Marriage Equality in New York

On Friday, June 24th, 2011 (just before midnight, so almost on the 25th), New York Govenor Andrew Cuomo signed New York's gay marriage bill into law. The measure, passed by bipartisan vote, makes New York the sixth state to legalize same-sex marriages (following Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington, D.C.) and the third state to legalize same-sex marriage through legislation, not by being forced to do so by a court (following Vermont and New Hampshire). New York is also by far the largest state to provide equal rights to same-sex couples, so I believe that other states will follow suit, especially ones that have supported marriage equality in the past, like my two homes, Oregon and California.

The crowds outside Stonewall Inn in the West Village,
where the gay-rights movement began more than 40 years ago.

I wish I could be in New York or even San Francisco for the wicked awesome street parties and celebrations that I'm sure are going on now and will probably be going on for the next couple days!

New York Govenor Andrew Cuomo, center, after the vote.
I love love! I'm so glad that the world is finally seeing that we should celebrate all types of love (even those different from our own, especially those different from our own!) because there is enough hate in our world already!


Check out this article on www.msnbc.msn.com for more information!

2 comments:

  1. thanks! I honestly haven't ever stop thinking about that sign that you showed me, the one that said, "why do you hate my love?" since you showed it to me!

    ReplyDelete